We are seeking a Tigrinya Cross Cultural Health Broker (Part-time) to work among the Eritrean community in Metro Vancouver.
DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIZATION:
Umbrella Multicultural Health Cooperative is a member-driven, not-for-profit, health services organization. Our members are people who face barriers accessing health care due to their language and culture. Our mission is to provide practical access to affordable and holistic health care services that are appropriate in culture and language for those without access to health security.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Cross Cultural Health Broker (CCHB) is a bilingual, bi-cultural health care worker. Under the supervision of the project coordinator, the CCHB supports patients and health service providers by providing language interpretation and facilitating cross-cultural understanding, regarding relevant cultural and health issues.
The CCHB builds close relationships with the patients and their families, as they navigate health challenges. They work with patients and participants from their communities to access medical services, social services, and health promotion activities while supporting the relationship between patients and family doctors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide language and cultural interpretation between physician and patient in the Umbrella Co-op family practice and other medical settings
- Enhance communication and cross-cultural understanding with health care service providers
- Support patients to navigate the health care system and health-related appointments
- Empower patients to make their own health decisions and implement them
- Connect patients to social and community services
- Conduct community outreach for health promotion programs
- Facilitate and co-develop curriculum for community health workshops and peer groups
- Create a welcoming, supportive and safe environment for program participants
- Participate in the development of culturally-appropriate health promotion materials
- Serve as a health promotion resource to community
- Attend monthly team meetings and training
- Perform additional job-related duties as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Written and oral fluency in English and Tigrinya language
- An understanding of the Canadian and Eritrean health care systems
- Ability to contribute to a welcoming environment and to help people feel comfortable
- Commitment to maintaining professional standards and confidentiality
- Sound decision-making, teamwork, and organizational abilities
- Strong communication and critical thinking skills
- Effective resource and time management skills
- Ability to tolerate uncertainty and ambiguity
- Ability to establish personal and professional boundaries and self-care
- Commitment to promoting a culturally safe, anti-oppressive environment, and low–barrier learning environment
- Ability to create a safe and welcoming environment for clients to discuss mental health and women’s health issues
- Ability to relate to and honour multiple perspectives and ways of seeing the world and to have your own beliefs and values challenged
- Ability to share your strengths and limitations, successes and mistakes openly with your colleagues through reflective practice
- Ability to culturally adapt and deliver community-based health promotion activities
- Active and trusted member of the Tigrinya and Eritrean community
- Experience working in a health/medical setting
- Lived experience with or understanding of international migration issues
- Work experience in community-based initiatives and health promotion activities
- Demonstrated commitment to health equity and access
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team
SALARY: This is a part-time position of 7 hours per week, with opportunity of increase, with a pay rate of $19/hour, plus 4% vacation.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: The position will remain posted on our website until filled
Please submit a one-page cover letter, describing why you are a good fit for this position, and your resume, all one document, with the subject line: YourName-Tigrinya-CCHB-Position to email@example.com
If you have any questions please contact Raquel Velasquez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (604) 553-0633.
We kindly thank you in advance for your interest and application; however, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.